Electorate Officers are employees of the Parliament of Australia. They are directly accountable to the Member of Parliament (MP) in whose electorate they are employed.
Applications are invited for the above ongoing position based in the Fowler Electorate office in Cabramatta. This position is Full-time and there may be additional hours and travel to Canberra required.
This position requires a high degree of loyalty, quick-thinking, versatility, the ability to work under pressure, maintain confidentiality on behalf of the Member and their constituents and maintain the highest ethical standards.
This role is key to maintaining strong ties with the community and electorate office. You must have excellent communication skills, sound political judgment and be able to work under pressure. Ideally, you will also have an understanding of the role of the Federal government and the parliamentary processes behind it.
The Senior Electoral Officer will act as an advisor to the Member and provides overall support and guidance on the operation of the Member’s office. The role advises and works with the Member on policy and strategic goals, management of issues and Parliamentary business in conjunction with the Principal Advisor and the Senior Media Advisor. This includes stakeholder relations in conjunction with the MP and media / communications strategy in conjunction with the Media Advisor. The role is also responsible for staff management and human resources (HR) in conjunction with the Member.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the management of the electoral office which includes the management of incoming and outgoing communication, work with the Member and Principal Advisor on the Member’s policy and strategic goals, anticipating priorities, solving problems, mediating issues and implementing the Member’s decisions in conjunction with the other members of the team;
- Provide strategic support and advice to the Member, including preparation and coordination of meeting briefs, minutes, reports, submissions and other correspondence, whilst also ensuring that the Member is briefed on issues of importance;
- Coordinate and undertake strategic and operational activities involving the voters of Fowler to achieve ongoing positive voter outcomes;
- Manage and coordinate HR aspects of the office in consultation with the MP, including staff recruitment, employment agreements, reviews, leave applications and complaints, in accordance with Parliamentary guidelines and processes;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with local stakeholders and organise events and activities to ensure closer engagement of the member and the communities of Fowler.
- Manage and coordinate staff, their roles, tasks, and responsibilities in conjunction with the Member and provide advice/recommendations on matters for which the team is responsible;
- Establish and oversee office procedures and policies, including staff meetings, internal communications, information and document storage and management;
- Be the key point of contact for interaction with the Member, other than the media;
- Oversight and approval of meeting and event requests with stakeholders and constituents
- In conjunction with other staff establish information systems to capture and communicate important electoral information and ensure the Member is up to date (regular summary briefings via documents and face to face information);
- Coordinate staff meetings, including meeting agendas and minutes
- Attend some events and functions with and on behalf of the Member as required
- Monitor issues affecting the electorate and keep the Member informed
- Represent the Member in meetings with walk in voters, other constituents, government and parliamentary officers and other stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with all WHS requirements
- Act to maintain and improve office systems and processes
- Manage workloads and delegate to volunteers or other electorate staff
- Other tasks as directed by the Member
To apply for this vacancy, please send your CV along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org